It’s not easy to figure out whether the reviews for particular sewing machines (or any type of consumer product, for that matter) can be trusted. That’s why if you want to save time, look at the awards that a particular sewing machine has earned. And when it comes to award winning sewing machines, there’s one that often comes to mind – the Singer 7258. It won the Consumers Digest Best Buy Award. In fact, it won this award TWICE.
Specs and Best Features
|No. Presser Feet:||10|
|All-metal parts:||Metal Frame|
|Adjustable speed control:||Yes|
Multiple needle positions:
|Limited Warranty:||25 Years|
|Adjust Stitch Length:||Yes|
|Editor Ratings:||4.5 Out of 5|
|Price:||See Current Price|
The Singer 7258 offers a wide range of advanced features that allows you to create masterpieces right at the get-go. It offers several features that will immediately eliminate any sort of guesswork:
- Threading becomes easy with its automatic needle threader. The threading instructions are even printed on the sewing machine itself. Threading the machine from spool to the eye of the needle will only take just 6 seconds.
- Inserting the bobbin is easy, as it loads from the top. It also comes with a clear cover, so you can check on your bobbin thread supply.
- The workspace is illuminated by LED lighting, so you can see exactly what you’re doing. This LED bulb will last 100,000 hours, and it won’t get hot no matter how long you use the machine.
- There are 6 different 1-step buttonhole styles to choose from here, so your button holes are sized perfectly each time. And there’s also an additional “endless” buttonhole to let you make buttonholes with infinitely long sides.
- The motor can sew up to 750 stitches per minute. The machine also adjusts to the fabric automatically, so you won’t need to make presser foot adjustments.
When you’re ready to work, you’ll find that the advanced features open lots of creative possibilities:
- You get 100 stitches built in. You get 76 decorative stitches, 8 stretch, and 9 essential stitches. With the variety of stitches you get, you can work on just about all types of sewing projects. The maximum width of the stitches is 6mm.
- The needle can be programmed to stop at the highest point to make it easy for you to remove the fabric. Or you can program it to stop in the down position, if you’re quilting, pivoting, or appliqueing.
- You can start sewing with a press of a button and you can control the speed with the Speed Control lever.
- 13 needle positions are available.
- It comes with a long list of accessories, including 10 sewing feet. It also has a 25-year limited warranty and excellent customer support to boot.
Pros and Cons
All these features show that the Singer 7258 is very easy to use and it’s an ideal sewing machine for both new and advanced users. The price is more than reasonable, especially when you buy online from a seller that’s offering a discount. It also comes with a heavy duty metal frame so it remains still and you don’t get skipped stitches.
However, its metal frame will require you to buy a bottle of Singer machine oil for maintenance. Those who neglected this basic maintenance requirement ended up with clacking machines, and these are the people who are responsible for majority of the negative reviews on Amazon.
Should You Buy It?
Consumer Digest gave the Singer 7258 the Best Buy designation due to its performance in various criteria, including ease of use, features, performance, efficiency, styling, quality of construction, maintenance and servicing needs. The customer reviews on Amazon mainly agree that it is an excellent machine.
If you don’t want to risk your money get the Singer 7258. It’s very affordable, and it will provide you with many years of enjoyable, efficient and effective sewing.