Whether you are a newbie or an advanced sewer this tutorial will teach you how to make your own pillow cover that adds life to your bedroom. Not only this, but you will have a comfortable sleep with a well crafted pillow case.
Your sleep is in your hands, why don’t you sew a pillow yourself at home !
I suggest people to enjoy their work which will reflect in quality output. You can do add this pillow project as a weekend project and even teach your kids, trust me it’s so easy.
Materials you need for this project are as follows:
- Pick your favorite fabric with colorful patterns.
- Your sewing machine
- Measurement Tape
- A scissor
- A chalk for marking
- and other basic sewing accessories.
My advice while you pick your fabric be careful not to go with fabric that shrink post washing it. A quality fabric might seem expensive but lasts longer when you compare it to a cheaper version.
Step by Step Instructions to Make Your Pillow Cover
- First step, cut the chosen fabric with reference to the measurement of your choice. If you are sewing the pillow for your kids you may want to go for a small size. Note you decide which shape you like, for example, circular, rectangle, square, etc.
- Now put together the cut fabric one over the other resembling the shape you intend to make. Also ensure you sew on only one side of the fabric so that the stitches are visible on the other side of the pillow.
- A good tip here is to sew the lengthier sides first with a thread that is of same color as your fabric. You can either use a sewing machine or go on and sew by hand which ever is comfortable to you.
- Now sew the shorter side but don’t close the pillow cover leave one side open to pass your pillow into the cover.
- That’s it now pull out the pillow cover inside out and you have yourself a beautiful sewn pillow cover for your bedroom.
You may want to hem the edges of the open side of your pillow cover for a much more cleaner finish. If you are using a sewing machine then try out different stitch styles which a different color thread.
Now you have to put your pillow into the cover and test it once to see everything has come out well.